Visits by prior arrangement
To make your visit as pleasant as possible, we have come up with a few guidelines:
- All visits take the form of guided tours.
- In the company of a museum guide, you can visit the museum and the abbey. The museum features two permanent exhibitions and usually several temporary exhibitions. If there are more than ten visitors in your group, you can also see a video. You can choose between the 21-minute presentation of the abbey in Slovene, English, German, Italian or Croatian and a 16-minute film about the herbalist Father Simon Ašič (in Slovene only). If you wish to incorporate these films into your visit, state this information when arranging the visit. In the abbey complex, one can see the cloister, refectory, basilica and entrance keep with the oldest figural stuccowork in Slovenia.
- The entire visit can take up to two hours, so it can be adapted to your wishes or schedule.
- When planning your visit, it is a good idea to take the abbey rules into consideration. The abbey is closed from 12 pm to 2 pm every day. If you come during this time, you will be able to see only the museum. Visits to the abbey are also limited at other times when religious services are taking place in the basilica.
- Large groups of visitors must arrange their visits in advance either by e-mail: email@example.com or every day from Monday to Friday from 8 am to 4 pm on tel.: (01) 78 77 863. The contact person is Suzana Kuplenk.
- Prior arrangement is not necessary for individual visitors. Individuals can see the museum according to a set schedule (opening hours). A guide will be waiting for you at the appointed time at the main entrance.
- It is recommended that group visits be arranged at least a week in advance, so that the visit can be coordinated with other groups and a suitable guide appointed.
- When a group visit is arranged, the name of the contact person organising it and his or her telephone number must be given.
- Each guide can lead a group of up to 50 visitors. Larger groups are divided among several guides. Organisers can divide large school groups before their arrival at the museum (usually into individual classes) in order to have more time for the actual visit.
- If a scheduled group arrives late, the appointed guide may no longer be available. For this reason notify us about any delays as soon as possible on tel.: +386 1 78 77 100.
- If the visit is cancelled, please notify us as soon as possible.
- Individuals escorting groups pay no entrance fee. They are asked to maintain order and discipline in the group during the visit.
- The entrance fee is paid in cash at the main entrance or via an order form. If an order form is used, special attention must be paid to the correct name and address of our museum (see info).
- The basilica of the Sorrowful Mother of God can be visited without a guide. Entrance is free. The church is open every day from 8 am to 12pm and from 2 pm to 6 pm. The church is closed from 12 pm to 2 pm. Guided tours in the church are not permitted.
We look forward to your visit.